Karen Chleborad, ASA
Prior to joining ISC, Karen held roles of Assistant Vice President and Product Actuary at Central States Health & Life Co of Omaha (CSO). In those roles she coordinated financial reporting for a property and casualty company, and later the financial reporting of the actuarial functions for a life and health company. She assisted the Appointed Actuary in pricing credit-related products, product management, acquisition analysis, valuation, cash-flow testing, reinsurance, and compliance. The following highlights demonstrate the depth and breadth of Karen's experience:
REGULATORY AND FINANCIAL REPORTING
- Led the Accounting Department of Central States Indemnity Co., which included preparation of NAIC Financial Statements and necessary regulatory reporting. Also responsible for day-to-day operations of the department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, premium processing, premium taxes, reinsurance reporting, client retro calculations, preparation of internal financial statements, and reporting to the Company's parent: Berkshire Hathaway. Established adequate liabilities/reserves, and led creation of statutory annual statement actuarial exhibits and reports..
- Coordinated the Actuarial Department's completion of its financial reporting responsibilities.
- Coordinated CSO's completion of Cash Flow Testing.
- Worked with auditors and State Insurance Department examiners.
- Established successful relationships with regulators and auditors.
- Performed financial audits of Nebraska State agencies and counties.
- Supervised the day-to-day reinsurance operations for a company's 150 captive reinsurance deals, including contracts, accounting, due diligence, valuation, commutations, and reporting.
- Supervised the reinsurance activities for life and health blocks of businesses.
- Managed the Credit Insurance block of business, including making rate filings, experience filings, and assuring the products were reserved according to actuarial standards and the reserves were adequate.
- Worked with administration, IT, corporate finance, and compliance to make sure all systems and reporting were correct.
2022 to Present: Insurance Strategies Consulting, LLC Consultant
2022 to Present: ISC Strategies Consulting, Inc.Consultant
2003 to 2021: Central States Health & Life Co. of Omaha Assistant Vice President, Product Actuary
1995 to 2003: Central States Indemnity Co. of Omaha - Assistant Vice President, Financial Reporting/Actuarial - Various Positions
1991 to 1994: Central States Health & Life Co. of Omaha - Actuarial Assistant
Mutual of Omaha - Actuarial Assistant
Nebraska Auditor of Public Accounts - Auditor in Charge - Various Positions
Professional Designations: Associate, Society of Actuaries - Certified Public Accountant (non-active)
Education: BA, Accounting, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - MS, Actuarial Science, University of Nebraska -Lincoln